Monday, January 13, 2014

~* Reason #12: Road Trips *~

I enjoy road trips, on the rare occasion that I have enough "extra" money to just fill the tank and go somewhere. It takes about 6 hours to get back to Baltimore, and it's all highway driving. Something about it just relaxes me. When I make this trip, I usually plan 2 stops- about 2 hours apart. I learned this lesson after the first time I made that drive alone- I hadn't wanted to stop, so I just kept driving. By the time I made it home, I was sick. Wobbly, nauseous, dehydrated. Miserable. So now, I stop about 2 hours in to pee, then again halfway through VA for gas, and if needed, I'll stop again to pee. I blast the music the whole ride. I speed- I can't help it, my right foot is made of lead. I'll eat in the car. I have plenty of bottled water. It's therapy.

Now, add to that relaxing scenario at least one kid. Age is irrelevant. Before I even start typing the list, I'm getting tense.

I'd have to pack for the kid. Clothes and food and stuff to keep it "occupied" during the trip (as if any kid anywhere has ever been occupied on a road trip). I'd have to censor my music. I'd probably be more cautious of speeding (yes, I know that's not necessarily a bad thing). I'd have to stop at least twice as often to feed it, or let it pee, or change it. I'd have to talk to another human being. I'd have to unpack it, then pack it back up every time we stopped somewhere. I might even have to deal with carsickness. Ugh.  Then, I'd have to do it all again on the return trip! Nothing about that seems remotely fun to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment